Dental decay and your teeth
Tooth decay is one of the most common problems that dentists see. Dental or tooth decay occurs when the acid in your mouth begin to dissolve your enamel. If left untreated this can leave to cavities.
Our friendly dentist are always happy to help you with tips and tips to better oral hygiene to prevent dental decay.
10 things you didn’t know about tooth decay
1) It is one of the most common health problems in the UK.
2) It’s estimated that around one in every three adults in England have tooth decay.
3) There are no symptoms in the early stages of tooth decay.
4) A survey of five year olds identified that more than one in four had some level of tooth decay.
5) It’s caused when acids in your mouth dissolve your teeth’s outer layers
6) Later symptoms include toothache, grey or black spots appearing on your teeth and bad breath.
7) If left untreated, it can lead to cavities, gum disease and even losing a tooth.
8) Toothy decay is much easier to treat in its early stages.
9) Snacking between meals on sugary and acidic food and drinks can increase the risk of decay.
10) The best way to prevent tooth decay is by brushing your teeth thoroughly twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
Even if you don’t have any visible problems with your teeth, it is still important to see your Smilepod dentist regularly so that they can check for any signs of decay. It is much easier to treat tooth decay when caught early on, and is often symptomless until it has reached an advanced stage. Book your appointment at anyone of our six Central London studios so we can keep your teeth healthy, clean and protected.
Book an appointment at smilepod